It’s understandable that business owners want to simplify and streamline their business whenever possible — but cyber security is one area where it’s dangerous to take shortcuts. Taking time to set up a comprehensive cyber security plan and policies will not only give you peace of mind, but ensure the future of your business. Here are some actions you can take immediately to improve the cyber security of your business:
1. Require Secure Passwords Prompt your employees to change passwords every 90 days, using a combination of capital letters, numbers, and symbols. No personal information in passwords! Encourage employees to use company passwords that are different than their personal accounts.
2. Regularly update OS and browser software There is a reason your computer keeps prompting you to download updates — it’s to keep you safe. Don’t ignore them, just download it and close security loopholes.
3. Use Two-Step Authentication Like Google’s two-step authentication, many companies use a security solution that requires employees to have a code sent to their mobile device if they try to log on to a company account from an unrecognized device.
4. Use a password or pin for your mobile phone. Companies that permit their employees to check email or access a cloud drive from their mobile device should require that those phones be password protected.
5. Secure your website and network. Make sure your network and website are secure and protected from bugs like Heartbleed by ensuring proper SSL encryption. Your in-company network needs to be secure as well. Offer a free guest WiFi only if you’re careful.